Here was the birthing plan made very diligently by Mom:
1. I’d like no internal vaginal exams, within reason, during my labor unless medically indicated.
2. If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than be induced.
2.1 If induction becomes necessary, I would like to try natural induction techniques first (with the guidance of my practitioner)
– Breast stimulation, walking, herbs, enema, castor oil, chiropractic, acupuncture, sexual intercourse
– Stripping membranes, prostaglandin gels to ripen cervix, pitocin if cervix is ripened already, rupturing membranes
2.2 Alternatives to treatments such as antibiotics
3. Please check with me first before allowing medical students or hospital personnel other than doctors, residents, or nurses to do any procedure on me.
4. Completely natural labor unless medically indicated:
4.1 To stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of IV
4.2 Progress free of stringent time limits and have my labor augmented only if necessary medically
4.3 Don’t offer epidural unless I ask for it or is medically indicated. Instead, I’d like to try:
water tub, bath/ shower
breathing techniques/ distraction, meditation
hot/ cold therapy
self-hypnosis taught by someone
rocking chair if available
4.4 Not continuous or internal monitoring unless medically indicated
4.5 For pushing, would like to:
use different positions – squatting bar, birthing stool, birthing chair, birthing ball, birthing bed, bean bag chair, etc.
for pushing (and birth) would prefer to wait until i feel a spontaneous urge to bear down (to start pushing, rather than be coached to push w/ every contraction)
4.6 No episiotomy unless multiple/ random tears. To prevent tearing, please try:
Hot compresses, Oil, Perineal massage
4.7 Encourage me to breathe properly for slower crowning
4.8 Natural 3rd stage
no oxytocin (Pitocin) unless medically indicated
4.9 Please use a local anesthetic for repairs.
4.10 No stirrups please unless I’m having a medical emergency
4.11 Mirror handy but use it only if I ask for it
5. If c-section
5.1 Have husband at all times during the operation
6. Dim lights, reduce sounds as much as possible when the baby comes out
If possible, please allow the shoulders and body of my baby to be born spontaneously, on their own.
7. Natural postpartum
7.1 Pls use our baby clothes – receiving blanket/ swaddle cloth, dress (footsie, onesie), cap, mittens, socks, crib sheet, diapers and covers, diaper rash cream
7.2 Baby skin to skin, as soon as born, for as long as possible
7.3 NO vitamin K injection
7.4 NO eye drops
7.5 Only breastfeed & no formula or bottle feed unless medically indicated; breastfeed as soon as possible
– no sugar water, no pacifier unless medically indicated
7.6 All newborn procedures to take place in my presence or in my husband’s presence
7.7 No routine administration of Pitocin unless medically indicated (eg. uterus not being firm etc.)
7.8 Some quiet time w/ the baby
7.9 Husband to be w/ the baby if I can’t be
8. No circumcision